Individual Coffee Cakes
If you want the coffee cakes to look like they came from a coffee house or café, just use 1 cup of white flour instead of 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white flour.
Makes 6 individual coffee cakes
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons less-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
- 2-3 tablespoons oats
Coffee Cake Batter:
- 2 tablespoons less-fat margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half blended with 1/4 teaspoon vinegar and let stand)
- About 1/2 cup fruit of choice (frozen or fresh cranberries, dried cranberries, chopped apples or peaches, or apple or cherry pie filling from can)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line jumbo muffin pan (with six large muffin cups) with jumbo paper liners or spray pan with canola cooking spray.
2. Add the brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, pinch of salt and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon to large mixing bowl (fitted with paddle attachment) and beat briefly to blend. Add the 2 tablespoons margarine and beat on low until crumb mixture forms. Work the oats in with your hands and pour into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Return mixing bowl to mixer and add the 2 tablespoons margarine, sugar and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine, scraping sides of bowl.
4. Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a 4-cup measure and whisk to blend.
5. Add the flour mixture all at once to the mixing bowl along with the sour cream and buttermilk. Beat on low speed just until blended (scraping down the sides of bowl after five seconds).
6. Spoon a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each jumbo muffin cup. Spoon a slightly heaping tablespoon of fruit topping in the center of each, then sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top.
7. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until coffee cakes are lightly browned and tops spring back after being pushed in slightly.
Per serving: 260 calories, 6 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat (2 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 384 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17 percent.
Omega-3 fatty acids = .5 g, Omega-6 fatty acids = 1.5 g