Coffee Liqueur Brownies
Servings: Makes 16 brownies
- 30g (1 oz./ 2 1/2 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 56g (2oz./1/4 cup) butter
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 85g (2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 50g (1/4 cup) castor or granulated sugar
- 50g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. coffee liqueur
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence (flavoring or extract)
- 40g (1/3 cup) confectioners' sugar for decoration (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C (340 F).
2. Grease an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in a small saucepan on the stove-top over medium heat, stirring constantly or melt butter in microwave oven.
5. Remove melted butter from heat and cool before stirring in the instant coffee powder, the 1 egg and 1 egg yolk and both sugars. Mix well before adding in the sifted flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
6. Finally stir in the vanilla and coffee liqueur. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and dust with confectioners' sugar if using. Cut into squares.
Makes 16 brownies.