Fun Coffee Facts
Did you know that prior to the 1600's, the favorite breakfast drink was beer? Since then, coffee has become second only to oil as the world's most valuable commodity.
1. The first coffee shop opened in 15th-century Constantinople, where the Turks thought the drink was an aphrodisiac.
2. James Mason patented the first American coffee percolator in 1865.
3. The term "Cuppa Joe" came from "G.I. Joe," who always had his coffee.
4. Coffee is the most popular beverage worldwide with over 400 billion cups consumed each year
5. It is estimated that 100 million Americans drink a total of 350 million cups of coffee a day
6. 52% of the American adult population (age 18+) drink some type of coffee beverage on a daily basis, averaging about 3.2 cups per day
7. 79% of coffee drinkers consume their coffee at home.
8. 91% of coffee drinkers consume their coffee at breakfast
9.The workplace is the second most prominent location where people drink coffee
10. The number of cups of gourmet coffee beverages consumed per drinker per day is 2.5 cups.